The Center for international Legal Cooperation (CILC) and the Academy for Legislation have been awarded a new contract for the implementation of the Matra-South Training Programme Legislation for the period 2015-2018. CILC and the Academy will be able to continue providing technical training in the field of legislative drafting for Arab participants, as successfully done in the previous round of the programme between 2012 and 2014.
The overall objective of the Matra-South Training Programme is to support democratic changes in the Arab region and a sustainable transition towards upholding the rule of law and respect for human rights. Eligible countries in the framework of this Matra program are Egypt, Jordan, Libya, Morocco and Tunisia.
The specific objectives of the training programme on Legislation are to:
- Train a group of twenty-five civil servants (experts and policy makers) in the field of legislative drafting and provide them with new theoretical knowledge and practical skills;
- Acquaint the participants from the Arab countries with the Dutch system and the best practices of The Netherlands and Europe in the field of legislative drafting;
- Enhance networking and cooperation between the Dutch experts and their Arab colleagues;
- Provide participants with practical information and advice which are relevant to their countries’ needs and which can help in solving issues in the field of legislative drafting that are being debated in those countries;
- Enhance networking and the exchange of expertise and information between the participants from the various Arab countries and stimulate cooperation between the participating countries.
The Matra-South Training Programme has been developed by the Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs and is implemented by the Netherlands Enterprise Agency (Ministry of Economic Affairs).