The Center for International Legal Cooperation (www.cilc.nl) is the project organization in the Netherlands, supporting international legal cooperation and capacity building in legal systems worldwide. The projects are being implemented with the support of international and national (legal) experts. Projects are funded by the Netherlands Government, the European Commission and other national and international donors. At present, projects are conducted in Europe, the Mena region, Indonesia, Suriname and Africa. In the 38 years of its existence, CILC built up an excellent reputation among its beneficiaries, as well as the expert community and the donors.
The main office of CILC is based in The Hague. CILC is a foundation with a staff of around 15 people managed by a Board, consisting of a director and a deputy-director, and monitored by a Supervisory Committee, consisting of 4 people. CILC is ISO 9001 certified. At present, CILC is in the process of re-assessing its mission and developing a strategy for a sustainable long-term future of the organization.
CILC is now looking for a motivated and inspiring candidate for the position of Director who, together with the deputy-director, will lead CILC in the coming years in order to consolidate and further strengthen its position as a reliable and professional partner in international legal cooperation.
The tasks of the director concern both the management of the organization, as chair of the board, as well as guiding the development and implementation of projects. As such, the director will be the primary responsible for:
- Leading the CILC office, which is staffed with competent and motivated professionals. In this context, the director stimulates the development and dissemination of knowledge and skills among the staff and facilitates the staff to excel in their performance;
- a solid long-term financial management of the organization, which guarantees a sustainable continuation of business operations and the further development of CILC;
- the further development of the mission and vision of CILC in the years to come and the translation of this vision into concrete activities;
- positioning CILC in its relationship with Dutch governmental institutions, national and international donors, and strategic partner organizations in the Netherlands and abroad;
- the development and monitoring of (further) internal and external CILC policies (related to HRM, ISO Certification, etc.);
- Communication with the members of the Supervisory Board and the organization of Supervisory Board meetings;
- ensuring a solid project portfolio through an active and creative role in acquisition trajectories and other funding opportunities;
- the adequate implementation of projects and other activities and is also responsible for a limited number of projects himself/herself;
- representing CILC in any strategic or project-related meetings, whenever the presence of the director is needed;
- the general external representation of CILC
From the director is expected that he/she:
- can develop a convincing vision about the mission of CILC and generate sufficient support for this vision among the staff, members of the Supervisory Committee and other stakeholders of CILC;
- can translate innovative ideas into concrete projects and actions;
- can lead project teams and CILC staff in a professional and stimulating way, finding the right balance between being a people’s manager and keeping an eye on CILC’s organizational needs and business interests;
- can develop, implement and monitor new and existing policies in an efficient way;
- can communicate and negotiate with senior representatives of governmental and non-governmental national and international organizations in an efficient and convincing way;
- can participate in discussions with leading experts about project content and approaches to follow;
- can deal in a creative way with the complexity and uncertainty in a changing environment and can turn these challenges into new opportunities for the further growth of CILC.
From the director is expected that he/she has:
- Master or bachelor degree in a relevant field of study;
- Affiliation with the justice sector, international legal cooperation and / or implementation of international projects;
- Broad experience in managing a team of professionals and support staff, preferable in an international context and/or the justice sector;
- Coaching and inspiring style of management;
- Strategic view and analytical skills;
- Readiness and ability to participate in projects;
- Flexibility and readiness to go unexplored paths;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Dutch language at mother tongue level
- Excellent command of foreign languages, in particular English;
- Willingness to travel whenever this is needed.
- An interesting position in an international and dynamic context under a temporary contract with the perspective towards an indefinite contract;
- The opportunity to play a key role in the process towards CILC’s future;
- An excellent employment conditions package in line with CILC’s labor regulations;
- An inspiring international environment.
Interviews (in person) with the staff advisory committee are schedule for 14 and 15 February 2024. Interviews (in person) for recommended candidates with the selection commission are scheduled for the afternoon of 21 February 2024. For this position a ready candidate is in the picture.
In case you think you are the new CILC director, please send your application, including your Curriculum Vitae, by e-mail at the latest on Friday 9 February 2024 10.00 AM to:
Center for International Legal Cooperation
Attn. Mr. G. Tangenberg, chair of the Supervisory Committee
For more information about the position and the procedure you may contact Mr. E.L.J.F.M. Vincken, deputy director (email@example.com or 06-13967860). For any further information about CILC, we refer to www.cilc.nl
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.